Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
The prevalenceof anterior segment and crystalline lens changes in a Nicaraguan population.
Linnaeus University, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Department of Medicine and Optometry.
2016 (English)Independent thesis Basic level (degree of Bachelor), 180 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Abstract Aim: The purpose of this study was to find the prevalence of different ocular changes in the anterior segment of the eye and changes in the crystalline lens among Nicaraguan population.

Method: The study was done during a journey to Nicaragua with the organization VFA and Synoptik that lasted for two weeks in March/April. There were a total of 134 participants with 71 females and 63 males. The average age of the study participants was 50 (±20) years and the age ranged from 7 to 97 years. The total sample size was collected in the three towns that we visited during the journey: Ticuantepe, Léon and Estéli. The changes were evaluated by direct ophthalmoscopy. Conjunctiva was examined by asking the patients to look into different gaze directions. Cornea and crystalline lens was examined by asking the patient to look directly at the ophthalmoscope.

Results: 31% out of the participants enrolled in this study were healthy with no visible ocular changes. The remaining 69% had ocular changes with majority of them having either cataract, pterygium or pinguecula. The prevalence of cataract was 24%, pterygium 20%, pinguecula 10%. There were other minor ocular changes such as red eye in 4%, arcus senilis in 4%, ptosis in 1%, and aphakia in 1% seen in these participants.

Conclusion: The UV related changes had the highest prevalence. This study like previous studies have shown that cataract was most prevalent ocular change in this population.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2016. , 32 p.
Keyword [en]
Vision For All, Ocular Changes, Cataract, Pterygium, Pinguecula, Nicaragua
National Category
Medical and Health Sciences
URN: urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-54213OAI: diva2:942522
Subject / course
Educational program
Optometry Programme, 180 credits
2016-05-30, N2007, Kalmar, 13:34 (Swedish)
Available from: 2016-07-13 Created: 2016-06-24 Last updated: 2016-08-30Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(680 kB)1 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 680 kBChecksum SHA-512
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Nisa, Georgette
By organisation
Department of Medicine and Optometry
Medical and Health Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 1 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 3 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link