Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Solar PV Powered Air Conditioner Analysis for an Office/Classroom in a Tropical Climate
Dalarna University, School of Technology and Business Studies, Energy Technology.
Dalarna University, School of Technology and Business Studies, Energy Technology.
2015 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 10 credits / 15 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

This thesis focuses on using photovoltaic produced electricity to power air conditioners in a tropical climate. The study takes place in Surabaya, Indonesia at two different locations the classroom, located at the UBAYA campus and the home office, 10 km away. Indonesia has an average solar irradiation of about 4.8 kWh/m²/day (PWC Indonesia, 2013) which is for ideal conditions for these tests.

At the home office, tests were conducted on different photovoltaic systems. A series of measuring devices recorded the performance of the 800 W PV system and the consumption of the 1.35 kW air conditioner (cooling capacity). To have an off grid system many of the components need to be oversized. The inverter has to be oversized to meet the startup load of the air conditioner, which can be 3 to 8 times the operating power (Rozenblat, 2013). High energy consumption of the air conditioner would require a large battery storage to provide one day of autonomy. The PV systems output must at least match the consumption of the air conditioner.

A grid connect system provides a much better solution with the 800 W PV system providing 80 % of the 3.5 kWh load of the air conditioner, the other 20 % coming from the grid during periods of low irradiation. In this system the startup load is provided by the grid so the inverter does not need to be oversized. With the grid-connected system, the PV panel’s production does not need to match the consumption of the air conditioner, although a smaller PV array will mean a smaller percentage of the load will be covered by PV.

Using the results from the home office tests and results from measurements made in the classroom. Two different PV systems (8 kW and 12 kW) were simulated to power both the current air conditioners (COP 2.78) and new air conditioners (COP 4.0). The payback period of the systems can vary greatly depending on if a feed in tariff is awarded or not. If the feed in tariff is awarded the best system is the 12 kW system, with a payback period of 4.3 years and a levelized cost of energy at -3,334 IDR/kWh. If the feed in tariff is not granted then the 8 kW system is the best choice with a lower payback period and lower levelized cost of energy than the 12 kW system under the same conditions.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Keyword [en]
Photovoltaic, air conditioners, tropical climate, Indonesia, PV system sizing, Inverters, On-grid, Off-grid
National Category
Energy Systems
URN: urn:nbn:se:du-19038OAI: diva2:847079
Available from: 2015-08-19 Created: 2015-08-19 Last updated: 2015-09-14

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(6248 kB)1129 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 6248 kBChecksum SHA-512
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Energy Technology
Energy Systems

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 1129 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 232 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link