UN decade of action for road safety in the national road safety strategy until 2020: Polish approach
2013 (English)In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference Road Safety on Four Continents: Beijing, China. 15-17 May 2013, Linköping: Statens väg- och transportforskningsinstitut, 2013Conference paper (Other academic)
Poland continues to have the highest number of road deaths per one million population in the European Union, according to a 2012 European Commission report – in 2011 the rate in Poland was 109 fatalities compared to the EU average of 61 killed. Adopted by the government in 2005 Poland’s National Road Safety Programme GAMBIT 2005 was the response to the EU’s 3rd Road Safety Action Programme. Despite extensive road safety efforts, the goal of Programme will not be fully met mainly due to lack of political and operational leadership and poor cooperation between road safety bodies. Work on a new National Road Safety Programme for the years 2013-2020 began in 2012 and were carried out by the National Road Safety Council. The authors of the paper supported the works, so that new strategy draws on the experience from the previous programme GAMBIT 2005 and addresses the challenges brought by European Union programmes and UN programmes. As a results this strategy follows several key principles like:
- system-based approach to road safety management
- setting final and interim targets
- road safety improvement based on “Vision Zero” and “Safe system” with strategic interventions comprising the basic pillars of safety: road safety management, safe road, safe vehicle, safe road users, post crash response
- focussing on the main road safety problems when identifying the priority interventions
- integrated approach to the selection of specific measures based on the 3E principle.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Linköping: Statens väg- och transportforskningsinstitut, 2013.
Poland, Safety, Policy, Administration
Public Administration Studies
Research subject 80 Road: Traffic safety and accidents; X RSXC
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:vti:diva-7307OAI: oai:DiVA.org:vti-7307DiVA: diva2:758496
16th International Conference Road Safety on Four Continents. Beijing, China (RS4C 2013). 15-17 May 2013