The Nordic Research and Innovation Area (NORIA) and synergies with the European Research Area (ERA)
Nordic Council of Ministers, Nordic Council of Ministers Secretariat2008 (English)Other (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
This study looks into the issue: How the Nordic Research and Innovation Area (NORIA) could be strengthen in synergy with the European Research Area (ERA) and how NORIA could be used as a platform for wider European and international cooperation, in particular in relations to activities supported by the EU's Framework Programme for research (FP7). The study also elaborates on how NORIA could contribute to the implementation of the ERA. The study concludes:
- National and EU programmes become more and more integrated, thus ERA should have increased priority both on National and on Nordic level.
- A more strategic pro-active approach is needed in order to have a longer term impact on ERA policy and content
- Member States have to cooperate in "variable geometry" to have impact.
- Nordic cooperation could be used as a platform, if used selectively in areas of common interest.
- Nordic organisations should have a strong role as facilitator, catalysts and coordinator complementing agencies/councils on National level.
- The Nordic Top-level research initiative should be utilised to the maximum on EU-level.
- Lessons from the Nordic cooperation should be shared within ERA.
- The study gives 17 concrete proposals building on the existing structure on National and Nordic level.
Place, publisher, year, pages
Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers , 2008. , 95 p.
TemaNord, ISSN 0908-6692 ; 2008:597
Research subject Education; Research
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:norden:org:diva-992ISBN: 978-92-893-1779-5 (print)OAI: oai:DiVA.org:norden-992DiVA: diva2:701302