Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
The Role of Renewable Energies in Energy Supply and Management for Sustainable Development. "case of Rwanda".
University of Gävle, Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development, Department of Building, Energy and Environmental Engineering.
2013 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 80 credits / 120 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Final Master Thesis report EGI 2010-2013


Thesis Title: The Role of Renewable Energies in Energy supply Planning and   Management for Sustainable    Development “Case of Rwanda”.



This report provides an overview of the main results from the scenarios analysed in the Rwanda energy policy strategy, planning and prospective energy initiatives and alternatives (Hydropower, Biomass, Solar, Methane, Peat, etc.) as well as other Government Development Frameworks meant for poverty reduction strategies and economic development. Under this context, the report attempts to assess the role of renewable energies particularly micro hydropower in solving Rwanda energy supply and management issues for sustainable development. The main conclusion is that renewable energies (micro hydropower) substantially contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving diversification of the energy production and supply into the national grid as well as independent off-grid systems particularly in rural based areas that are far from the grid. This becomes even more significant and relevant when considering that electricity access in the country stands at about 14% leaving about 86% of the population especially in rural areas without power supply.

Although other technologies are still used to meet urgent and pressing power demand, Renewable energy sources are well placed in offering medium and long term solution in a sustainable manner.

To this effect therefore, the report has tried to outline the impacts, costs and benefits of ambitious renewable energy targets for Rwanda in the medium and long term perspectives.


Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2013. , 74 p.
Keyword [en]
Research questions, summary of methodology approaches, Renewable energy, energy policy strategy, current energy balance
National Category
Other Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Information Engineering
URN: urn:nbn:se:hig:diva-15475OAI: diva2:653486
Subject / course
Energy systems
Educational program
Energy systems – master’s programme (one year) (swe or eng)
Available from: 2013-10-16 Created: 2013-10-04 Last updated: 2013-10-16Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

MSc Thesis report(2998 kB)387 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 2998 kBChecksum SHA-512
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Department of Building, Energy and Environmental Engineering
Other Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Information Engineering

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 387 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 195 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link