Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Volym- och kvalitetsutbyte vid stjärnsågning.
KTH Träteknologi.
KTH. (Träteknologi)
1996 (Swedish)Report (Other academic)
Abstract [en]

Volume yield and quality of timber when using Star-sawing technique

by

Hans Holmberg and Dick Sandberg

Abstract

Volume yield and quality are investigated when starsawing logs of pine (Pinus silvestris L) and spruce (Picea abies Karst). Topdiameters of timber were for pine sorted in two classes 260-300 rnm and 300-340 mm. Spruce timber were sorted in one class with top diameters between 290 and 340 mm.

The investigation shows a volume yield considerably higher for starsawing compared to conventional techniques. This investigation, carried out on a simple testplant, yields 68 %calculated from top volume of log. Volume yield calculated from a cone with top and root diameters is 56 %. With sideboards included these numbers will incerease with one percent. The triangular profiles is 47 % of the total volume and the rest 53 % are quarter sawn boards.

The volume yield of spruce is about one percent higher than for pine. The difference is assumed to depend on more pronounced taper of the log in spruce, wich allows easier positioning of the log.

Quality is determined with a method developed especially for quarter sawn timber.

 

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Stockholm: KTH Royal Institute of Technology, 1996. , 17 p.
Series
, TRITA-TRÄ R-96-22, ISSN 1104-2117 ; 22
Keyword [en]
Star-sawing, Volume yield, Timber, dimensions, Pine, Pinus silvestris L, Spruce, Picea abies Karst
Keyword [sv]
trä, sågning, sönderdelning, stjärnsågning, kvalitet, volymutbyte, furu, gran
National Category
Wood Science
Research subject
Technology (byts ev till Engineering), Forestry and Wood Technology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-20805ISRN: KTH/TRÄ/R--96/22--SEOAI: oai:DiVA.org:lnu-20805DiVA: diva2:541100
Available from: 2012-08-29 Created: 2012-07-13 Last updated: 2012-08-29Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(868 kB)133 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 868 kBChecksum SHA-512
8ff120ec77962e6226b907ca28cc798a96f663a6cc88f4ee1c4f322d7c84944437523f7f98a09cae4a5972766c7616f72d31046b441637129ed14c90b0ede211
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Sandberg, Dick
Wood Science

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 133 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 67 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link