The fuel is put into the process through a burner pipe and this burner pipe is modified to reach a more efficient combustion. The primary target is to enable burning of heterogeneous alternative fuels and increase the production level. Other positive effects from this type of optimization is lowered specific fuel consumption and lowered CO2 emissions.
A redundant burner is chosen for the project and overall the project steps are the following:
1. Installing a Jet air nozzle ring in a way so it can move both axially and radially due to temperature changes.
2. Remove the present refractory from the burner and order a new form to decrease the weight of the burner
3. Place a K6 blower in operating the axial channel.
4. Install Gauging equipment (Temp, pressure, ampere blower etc)
5. Carefully observe process values during the modified burners run in time.
6. Evaluate the results of the project
7. With the help of proven potential in the kiln system be able to convince management of the proceeds to invest in a new burner
8. If point 7 is fulfilled with the help of experience, be able to operate as a projectcoordinator in the purchase of a professional burner. This task will include coordinating the project group in various meetings and then lead to an RFQ (Request For Quotation).
Results from the project show the great potential in an optimization of a burner at a cement plant. A production increase of 5% could be seen together with a lowered specific energy consumption which is extremely satisfactory results.
Unfortunately a breakdown of the system occurred a bit down the path of optimisation that resulted in damages to the kiln. At this stage the optimization was stopped and the old burner was put back after finished kiln repair.
Finally crucial to underline is that the proven results in this study convinced the Group Management of buying a new burner. The benefits from a professional tailor made burner are far greater than the cost of buying it. The payback time is roughly around a year for such an investment depending on current market conditions.