Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Travel time estimation for emergency services
Linköping University, Department of Science and Technology, Communications and Transport Systems. Linköping University, Faculty of Science & Engineering.
Linköping University, Department of Science and Technology, Communications and Transport Systems. Linköping University, Faculty of Science & Engineering.
2019 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Emergency services has a vital function in society, and except saving lifes a functioning emergency service system provides the inhabitants of any give society with a sence of feeling secure. Because of the delicate nature of the services provided there is always an interest in improvement with regards to the performance of the system. In order to have a good system there are a variety of models that can be used as decision making support. An important component in many of these models are the travel time of an emergency vehicle. In In this study the focus lies in travel time estimation for the emergency services and how it could be estimated by using a neural network, called a deep learning process in this report. The data used in the report is map matched GPS points that have been collected by the emergency services in two counties in Sweden, Östergötland and Västergötland. The map matched data has then been matched with NVDB, which is the the national road database, adding an extra layer of information, such as roadlink geometry, number of roundabouts etc. To find the most important features to use as input in the developed model a Pearson and Spearman correlation test was performed. Even if these two tests do not capture all possible relations between features they still give an indication of what features that can be included. The deep learning process developed within this study uses route length, average weighted speed limit, resource category, and road width. It is trained with 75% of the data leaving the remaining 25% for testing of the model. The DLP gives a mean absolute error of 51.39 when trained and 59.21 seconds when presented with new data. This in comparison a simpler model which calculates the travel time by dividing the route length with the weighted averag speed limt, which gives a mean absolute error of 227.48 seconds. According to the error metrics used in order to evaluate the models the DLP performs better than the current model. However there is a dimension of complexity with the DLP which makes it sort of a black box where something goes in and out comes an estimated travel time. If the aim is to have a more comprehensive model, then the current model has its benefits over a DLP. However the potential that lies in using a DLP is entruiging, and with a more in depth analysis of features and how to classify these in combination with more data there may be room for developing more complex DLPs.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2019. , p. 86
Keywords [en]
Travel time estimation, deep learning, emergency services
National Category
Transport Systems and Logistics
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-158178ISRN: LiU-ITN-TEK-A--19/004--SEOAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-158178DiVA, id: diva2:1330809
Subject / course
Transportation Systems Engineering
Uppsok
Technology
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2019-06-26 Created: 2019-06-26 Last updated: 2019-06-26Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

Travel time estimation for emergency services(2431 kB)16 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 2431 kBChecksum SHA-512
7713b71eb6f1ee15a9de1e766f43ecf5d8926a715ce9b1e74a459b2c0918b78ab56191053822670729849bda7d7c420fefa95bd99643e8d5d0cd9b0939309cfd
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Pereira, ImanRen, Guangan
By organisation
Communications and Transport SystemsFaculty of Science & Engineering
Transport Systems and Logistics

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 16 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 57 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf