Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Att expandera sökfrågor i en elektronisk bibliotekskatalog: En jämförelse av återvinningseffektiviteten för fyra olika sökfrågetyper
University of Borås, Swedish School of Library and Information Science.
University of Borås, Swedish School of Library and Information Science.
2006 (Swedish)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year))Student thesisAlternative title
Query expansion in an online library catalogue : A comparison of the retrieval effectiveness of four different query types (English)
Abstract [en]

This Masters thesis deals with query expansion in an online library catalogue. The aim of the study was to compare the retrieval effectiveness of four different query types when applied to the online library catalogue of the University College of Borås. The query types were: an initial query, the initial query with right hand truncation, the initial query expanded with synonyms and finally the initial query expanded with synonyms and right hand truncation. 24 topics were formulated, and four queries for each topic were constructed. The records retrieved by the searches were judged with regard to topicality, and were judged to be non-relevant, partially relevant or relevant. Formulation of topics and relevance judgements were carried out by persons with a certain knowledge of subjects represented in the library catalogue. These persons also constituted the source of search terms. The retrieval effectiveness of the query types was evaluated regarding to relative recall and precision. It was found that expansion of the initial queries improved the retrieval effectiveness, both regarding to relative recall and precision. The most expanded query type showed the best result by far with respect to relative recall. With regard to precision, the best performing query type was the initial query with right hand truncation. Finally, false drops retrieved by the searches were analysed and classified. This analysis showed that false drops caused by the content of records constituted more than half 55 % of the false drops. The remaining 45 % consisted of false drops caused by the search terms.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
University College of Borås. Swedish School of Library and Information Science (SSLIS) , 2006.
Series
Magisteruppsats i biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap vid Bibliotekshögskolan/Biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap, ISSN 1404-0891 ; 2006:92
Keywords [en]
library and information science
Keywords [sv]
biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap
National Category
Social Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:hb:diva-18288Local ID: 2320/1507OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hb-18288DiVA, id: diva2:1310204
Note
Uppsatsnivå: DAvailable from: 2019-04-30 Created: 2019-04-30

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(355 kB)6 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 355 kBChecksum SHA-512
1b12e6e684d81a029223af90ba2d96e0f558a51adc3766dfbb38d35917620f8137e7a8b571bddbdc1de5a4f3d954d510b51de00864f69f8dad42cf89ee238c3a
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Swedish School of Library and Information Science
Social Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 6 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 8 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf