Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Från liten till stor brand: Brandspridning till vindsutrymmen i flerbostadshus
2018 (Swedish)Independent thesis Basic level (university diploma), 15 credits / 22,5 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

A fire that reaches the attic spaces in a multifamily building often comes with devastating consequences. Only 1 % of all attic fires have their starting point in the attic. The remaining 99 % begin in another fire cell, such as an apartment. A fire cell is a delimited part, such as ceilings, floors and walls, and each apartment in a multifamily building should form a separate fire cell. According to BBR (Boverket´s Building Regulations), attic spaces and ceiling voids, the attic should also form a separate fire cell with an area of maximum 400 m2 . The fire cell works as a shell to limit a fire and prevent proliferation. Besides fire cells, the choice of material has a significant impact on a fire and its spreading capacity to the attic spaces. A fire that starts for example in an apartment will emit hot gases and a common route for these gases is through the ventilation ducts. If there are any leaks in the ventilation ducts and visible materials, these hot gases might ignite surrounding insulation material. Insulation materials are divided into combustible and non-combustible materials. If a fire gets into contact with a combustible insulation material, this will be a contributing factor to its spreading to the attic spaces. Another way the fire can spread to the attic spaces is that the fire gets into contact with the eaves and then to the trusses. The purpose of this project is to examine the spreading of a fire to attic spaces in multifamily buildings. The goal of the project is to assist with proposing solutions that prevent the spreading of a fire to the attic spaces in a multifamily building. The project has been based on a literature study and interviews with people that work in the fields of fire- and construction technology and possesses high competence and together form a reliable source. The project´s conclusion shows that today’s standards and requirements in BBR are not always the cause for the fire to spread from a fire cell to the attic spaces in a multifamily building. Contributing causes for a fire that starts in another fire cell to spread to the attic spaces are leaks in the ventilation ducts, not appropriate choices of materials where ESP-insulations is a fire hazard and should be eliminated entirely as an insulation material, defective fire cellsboundaries, not prioritizing fire safety, lack of knowledge in case of an addition to the existing building, lack of knowledge in the construction-stage when it comes to the placement of iv openings from the ventilation ducts and absence of fire protection in the form of fire detectors, smoke detectors and other fire preventions solutions.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2018.
Keywords [sv]
Byggteknik
National Category
Engineering and Technology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:kau:diva-68680OAI: oai:DiVA.org:kau-68680DiVA, id: diva2:1237434
External cooperation
Skanska
Subject / course
Construction Engineering
Educational program
Study Programme in Building and Construction Engineering
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2018-08-09 Created: 2018-08-08 Last updated: 2018-08-09Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(891 kB)5 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 891 kBChecksum SHA-512
2268cef6a84b8088a9dd264d71ee3e1dfa14827260c6902b8d11323e0aad7dbce97341edacb4d3c67c180b4625ec0050f0f01256ac4ac311849d4a61611c1c1c
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Engineering and Technology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 5 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 44 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf