Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Is your taxi driver actually an engineer?: Mismatch in the Swedish Labour Market: Overeducation? Does it differ across different birth regions?
Linnaeus University, School of Business and Economics, Department of Economics and Statistics.
2018 (English)Independent thesis Basic level (degree of Bachelor), 10 credits / 15 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

The objective of this essay is to explain if there exist a mismatch on the Swedish labour market, with a main emphasis on overeducation. We frame our empirical work according to mismatch theories the human capital theory, technological change theory and the education-occupation mismatch theory. Using panel data from the European Social Survey covering the period 2002 and 2016 were we able to define overeducation at different levels to observe which is the most suitable for the topic of this essay. Our main result will be focusing on the 20 percent level, which means: “I and 20% other workers acquire a higher education than the other 80%”. Our result indicated that immigrants experienced a higher likelihood of being overeducated in comparison to natives. When we looked at the different birth regions did we found that individuals from the Central/South American countries were the ones who experienced the highest likelihood of being overeducated. Our result indicates that the further away your home country is from Sweden the higher is the probability of being overeducated, which goes hand in hand with the theories presented.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2018. , p. 37
Keywords [en]
Sweden, Labour market, Mismatch, Overeducation
National Category
Economics
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-76241OAI: oai:DiVA.org:lnu-76241DiVA, id: diva2:1221769
Subject / course
Economics
Educational program
International Social Sciences Programme, specialization Global Studies, 180 credits
Presentation
2018-06-04, K2083V, Linnéuniversitetet, Växjö, 14:46 (English)
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2018-06-21 Created: 2018-06-20 Last updated: 2018-06-21Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(507 kB)15 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 507 kBChecksum SHA-512
dad5058cfaafc47df283182fd198d4468249194cf5b5f3ba6472d56eb496a66bb820329d36523a8459a431409503ac00816dad13fc74ed399ebcffb6bc71ce95
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Department of Economics and Statistics
Economics

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 15 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 53 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf